About Me

Anyone who can remember coloring on old punch cards from Dad's office can't quite claim to be a digital native, so I will settle with being an "early adopter." I was the only freshman in my dorm with a personal computer, and my husband gave me the original iPod so I could bring my entire music collection to the delivery room. It had more than one button, but I loved it just the same! Since I have experience in both analog and digital worlds, I enjoy helping other digital immigrants become more familiar with technology as they discover its potential.

Rediscovering RSS feeds and George


RSS feeds are not new to me. Years ago I set up some feeds into an RSS reader that was integrated into Mac’s Safari web browser. When I went to use it for my RSS assignment, I was sad to see that the feature was gone! Apparently it has been gone for quite some time, so whatever I followed must not have been that interesting. 

I selected Feedly as a replacement, but it wasn’t as user friendly as the RSS reader from Safari. First, I added an RSS feed of all my classmates’ blogs. The process was tedious and time-consuming, but it has saved time in the long term. Another timesaving feature of Feedly is the ability to organize feeds into categories. I put my three favorite long-running instructional technology blogs into one category. How did they make the cut? 


- They were all blogs recommended by practicing educators.


- I have practically applied something that I learned on the site

- I scrolled through previous posts and found that the majority of them were well written and interesting.

Finally, I was happy to see that Edutopia was connected with George Lucas. My maiden name is Lucas, so my friends at the campus computer center all called me George. At least the other three criteria are solid!  





1 comment:

  1. I like all 3 of the blogs you have noted here, too. Your criteria for blog selection is valid...I go through phases in what I really need & attend to. Have you ever looked at Edudemic?

    ReplyDelete