About Me

Anyone who can remember coloring on old punch cards from Dad's office can't quite claim to be a digital native, so I will settle with being an "early adopter." I was the only freshman in my dorm with a personal computer, and my husband gave me the original iPod so I could bring my entire music collection to the delivery room. It had more than one button, but I loved it just the same! Since I have experience in both analog and digital worlds, I enjoy helping other digital immigrants become more familiar with technology as they discover its potential.

Reflective Practice and My Reflection: My Own Best Teacher or My Own Worst Critic?


In my last post I wrote a bit about my first experience with flipped instruction, and alluded to my frustration with the reflection of my chin in the iPad. That’s not all I noticed. The more I watch it the more I add to my list of “I wish I would have.....” Of course, some of those thoughts are good! Next time, I could break the video into three or four shorter topics, so teachers could access only what they need. There are places where I wish I had been more clear. When I demonstrate typing in a device name, the keyboard should have been in the frame. Those changes would matter more than my chin. 

I can see why the Flipping Instruction Training Program students at NCSU record their lectures before the school year begins. I simply didn’t have enough time to record the video over enough times. I recorded several takes, and chose the best one, but even then there was room for improvement. 

I just watched the You are Your Best Teacher video from the Flipped Instruction Training Program at  http://go.ncsu.edu/fctp which focuses on the potential for videos to help teachers reflect on their practice:






Of course, there is a difference between being a reflective practitioner and being a perfectionist. I think reflective practitioners take risks and keep on trying to to their best, while perfectionists are so afraid of mistakes they either try to hard or give up. With video, we can be our own best teacher, or our own worst critic. 

2 comments:

  1. Heidi, I think a lot of us felt the same way about our own videos! There were a lot of things I wished I could have changed. It's all about making sure you don't make the same mistake twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point about being a reflective practitioner and being a perfectionist is so important! I seem to tread the line between these two often...it is a narrow tightrope to walk. Phrasing our words to be more positive, in that we should be our "own best teacher" verses "our own worst critic", really makes the difference. If we think of how we talk to our students, I'm sure we want to remain positive and encouraging. Maybe we, as future educators, need to think of ourselves in the same light; we are learning too, and it's okay to make mistakes along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete